Leading renewable energy producers sign PPA with Equinix in Finland

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

Renewable energy producer Neoen has announced that it has signed a new power purchase agreement (PPA) for at least 30 megawatts (MW) of green energy. The PPA was awarded as a result of the competitive tender run by Equinix, a leader in digital infrastructure provision and services, to provide renewable energy for the firm’s locations in Finland.  

Under the 10-year agreement, Equinix will purchase 85 per cent of the green energy and guarantees of origin to be produced by the Björkliden wind farm in Finland. Located in the municipality of Närpes, in the western region of Ostrobothnia, the wind farm will have seven wind turbines, with a total capacity of at least 35 MW. Neoen owns an 80 per cent stake in the project, with the remaining 20 per cent being owned by Prokon, who co-developed this project with Neoen. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning to follow in 2024.  

The innovative PPA is partially indexed to market prices. It is Neoen’s seventh green energy contract in Finland since 2018, which they say is clear evidence of the company’s attractiveness to a growing range of clients, particularly large firms like Equinix that are part of the RE1001 initiative. Equinix claims to be the first in the data centre industry to announce a global commitment to become climate-neutral by 2030, as well as set a validated science-based target. 

Björkliden is located just a few kilometres from Neoen’s Hedet wind farm, which has a capacity of 81 MW and was commissioned at the start of 2020. Alongside the Mutkalampi wind farm, which is currently under construction and will have a capacity of 404 MW, it will be Neoen’s third wind farm in Finland. Björkliden reaffirms Neoen’s status as one of the country’s leading and fastest growing renewable energy producers, with over 500 MW in operation or under construction in the country.  

Sami Holopainen, managing director for Finland at Equinix said: “It is vital companies work together to ensure the digital footprint of our global economy is as sustainable as possible. At Equinix, we are committed to achieving our long-term goal of 100 per cent clean and renewable energy across our portfolio of over 235 data centres around the world. With the support of Neoen and Prokon in Finland, we are one step further to accomplishing that and our pledge to become climate neutral globally by 2030 and achieve our science-based targets.”  

Jerri Loikkanen, managing director of Neoen Finland, commented: “We are delighted to see global companies like Equinix committing to Finnish wind power and honoured that they have selected Neoen to provide renewable energy to the five leading data centres Equinix operates in the country. Neoen’s seventh long-term power purchase agreement in Finland highlights our significant role in pushing carbon neutrality in the country.”  

Xavier Barbaro, CEO and chairman of Neoen, concluded: “I would like to congratulate our teams in Finland for this new achievement. We are delighted to continue growing our presence in Finland, now our third most important country. This new contract demonstrates our ability to win tenders from companies like Equinix who are seeking to secure a supply of renewable energy. This market is key for Neoen and one of the biggest growth areas for our company.” 

Partner Resources

Popular Right Now

Join us on the journey to a sustainable future!

Join thousands of other industry professionals, receive our weekly newsletter filled with the latest content, innovations and updates on our talks. Don’t miss out, sign up now!

Others have also read ...